Space heater blamed for causing Rockford house fire

ROCKFORD (WREX) — A fire caused roughly $30,000 in damage to a Rockford home, and firefighters say a space heater is what caused it.

Crews were called to the 2800 block of Sewell Street just before 3:30 p.m. Thursday. The home did not have working smoke detectors.

Two people were inside at the time and able to escape, although one person got a minor burn on his hand. Two cats died in the fire.

The Red Cross is helping one of the two people displaced by the fire.

Kristin Crowley

Kristin Crowley

Evening News Anchor

More News

13 Weather Authority

Rockford
Freeport
35°
DeKalb
36°
Rochelle
35°
Sterling
35°
Janesville
39°
Monroe
34°
Connect with WREX
Top Stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content