A Rockford family reunites with the volunteers that saved their lives

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

ROCKFORD (WREX) — Back in September, a Rockford family was able to escape their home when it caught fire thanks to smoke alarms that were installed by Red Cross volunteers.

On Friday, those volunteers got to reunite with one of the members of that same family.

“I just can’t emphasize it enough how important it is to have smoke alarms in your house. If that window wouldn’t have been cracked and that smoke alarm wouldn’t have been upstairs, I wouldn’t be standing here right now,” said Rockford community member Doreen McCullough.

Volunteers with the American Red Cross of Northwest Illinois met with McCullough at the house located on Bildahl Street that caught fire on Sept. 3. McCullough’s daughter was the first to wake up thanks to the sound of an upstairs smoke alarm.

Back in may, two American Red Cross volunteers installed multiple smoke alarms in the home.

“It’s kind of very emotional and today, when I met her, I felt like ‘oh something that we have done is clearly giving back to society.’ And I don’t have words for that,” said American Red Cross of Northwest Illinois volunteer Sunilkumar Ravindran.

The Red Cross is encouraging others to test their fire alarms and practice their escape plan until everyone can get out of the home in two minutes or less.

cbetl

cbetl

More News

13 Weather Authority

Rockford
Freeport
DeKalb
Rochelle
Sterling
35°
Janesville
39°
Monroe
35°
Connect with WREX
Top Stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content