ROCKFORD (WREX) — Crime continues to fall this year in Rockford, according to the latest data from the Rockford Police Department.
The department released data comparing January through June of 2019 to the January through June of 2018.
According to police:
- Violent crimes – 21 percent decrease
- Robbery – 16 percent decrease
- Property crimes – 15 percent decrease
- Aggravated assaults – 20 percent decrease
- Shots fired – 23 percent decrease
- Auto thefts – 25 percent decrease
Fifty-four percent of aggravated assaults in Rockford are related to domestic violence.
So far in 2019 24 people have been shot in Rockford (including murders), compared to 45 people shot in Rockford during this time in 2018.
Rockford Police has seen 750 calls for gunfire compared to 1,163 during the same time last year.
Police recovered 57 guns in 2019 and 83 guns in the same time last year.