BOSTON (WREX) — For the 123rd year, runners from across the world gathered in Boston to run a marathon.
The The course runs through 26 miles of winding roads, following Route 135, Route 16, Route 30 and city streets into the center of Boston, where the official finish line is located at Copley Square, alongside the Boston Public Library.
Several of this years runners were from the stateline:
- Andrea Amend, 47, of South Beloit
- Dennis Beggs, 57, of Janesville
- Jennifer Black, 48, Loves Park
- Steve Dellet, 60, Galena
- Steven Doepke, 51, of Rockford
- Shawn Ferguson, 28, of Rockford
- Carl Gnequch, 54, of Belvidere
- Jacqeuline Kirchner, 32, of Rockford
- Dave Lancour, 64, of Janesville
- Michael Lentini, 30, of Rockford
- Phillip Martino, 40, of Rockford
- Carly Pederson, 24, of DeKalb
- Armando Quinones, 53, of Rockford
- Steven Reierson, 22, of Machesney Park
- Gardiner Rynne, 42, of Rockford
- Shannon Teunissn, 36, of Rockford
- Zachary Wallace, 24, of Rockford
- Mark Workman, 41, of Rockford
Kenya’s Lawrence Cherono outsprinted Ethiopa’s Lelisa Desisa over the final few steps to win the Boston Marathon. Cherono crossed the finish line in an unofficial time of 2 hours, 7 minutes, 57 seconds on Monday. That was just ahead of Desisa, the 2015 champion, who came in at 2:07:59.