ROCKFORD (WREX) – RAMP is offering parent advocacy training to help parents of children with disabilities get the resources they need to succeed in school.
The training gives parents the opportunity to learn more about Individualized Education Plans, or IEP’s. RAMP’s Quality Assurance Manager Heather Foulker said IEP’s helps map out a plan for a child to get the services they need to be successful.
“An individualized education plan is really a road map for what a child needs to be successful in school. So, it lays out all of their services including their class, as well as their therapy services, accommodations, modifications,” Foulker said.
She said RAMP is offering a training for parents to learn about what services their child needs. She said the first training helps parents determine if their child needs an IEP or a 504 Plan, and how to request an evaluation of their child.
The second training focuses more on what to do with the evaluation results and how to prepare for an IEP or a different type of plan. The third training helps parents learn how to address when their child’s plan is not being followed.
Foulker said it’s so important for parents to know what services their child needs.
“A lot of children with disabilities struggle, but if they’re taught a specific way or given the tools and resources they can be successful.” she said. “What parents need to know and really understand is they’re the best person to be able to advocate for those services, they know their child better than anyone else.”
The three training’s are being held at the four RAMP offices in Rockford, Belvidere, Freeport and DeKalb.
The Special Education and Disability Services 101 training is offered on:
- 11/1/18 5:30 p.m. at the Dekalb Library
- 11/14/18 5:00 p.m. at the Freeport RAMP Office
- 11/15/18 5:00 p.m. at the Rockford RAMP Office
- 11/29/18 5:00 p.m. at the Belvidere RAMP Office
The Special Education and Disability Services 201 training is offered on:
- 1/10/19 5:00 p.m. at the Belvidere RAMP Office
- 1/16/19 5:00 p.m. at the Rockford RAMP Office
- 1/17/19 11:00 a.m. at the DeKalb RAMP Office
- 1/23/19 11:00 a.m. at the Freeport RAMP Office
The Special Education and Disability Services 301 training is offered on:
- 2/6/19 11:00 a.m. at the Rockford RAMP Office
- 2/12/19 5:30 p.m. at the Freeport RAMP Office
- 3/7/19 5:30 p.m. at the DeKalb RAMP Office
More information is available on the RAMP website.